The definition of spring cleaning is to clean your home thoroughly. After being shut in all winter it used to be a necessity! These days regular room-by-room cleaning makes tasks faster and easier – all you need is a routine. And you can get a head start by following a few simple guidelines. Look at when to start spring cleaning here…
Fill a handled caddy with the basic equipment you need so you don’t have to keep going back to the kitchen. Make sure you have:
- An apron and vinyl gloves
- Feather duster
- Microfibre cloths
- Vacuum cleaner with accessories
- Disinfectant solution or wipes
- Multi-purpose cleaner
- Scrubbing brush
- Glass cleaner
This is the perfect time to get rid of things around the house that you don’t need. Sort unwanted belongings into categories: things to throw away, to recycle, to give away, or to store. Get every family member to help with these tasks.
You can donate goods to charities – go to a car boot sale or even have your own garage sale. Cleaning is so much easier when rooms are clear of clutter.
Use a Checklist
Make a spring cleaning list to focus on areas of your home that need an extra deep clean. A spring cleaning checklist will help you set tasks that you can complete in less than a day – this also keeps you motivated.
It’s also useful to keep a record in a notebook or on the computer of more involved jobs that you eventually want to do such as clearing out the attic or cleaning the outside windows or patio areas.
Making a plan for several days means that you can start your spring cleaning whenever you want. And following up by doing a 15-minute cleaning routine every few days will mean your home will stay clean and tidy throughout the year.
Your checklist can be broken down into rooms and should cover:
- Clean the fridge and freezer inside and out
- Dispose of any out of date food items
- Degrease all cooking appliances including plugs and accessories
- Deep clean the oven, hob, and underside of the hood
- Clean the windows, sills and surrounds
- Disinfect all kitchen surfaces and cupboards
- Sweep, mop, or vacuum hard floors
- Clean the sink and drains
- Replace old sponges and dishcloths
- Disinfect bath and shower areas including tiles
- Wipe down walls and ceiling
- Clean mirrors and medicine cabinet
- Declutter bathroom shelves and drawers
- Disinfect the toilet from top to bottom – rim, bowl, and base
- Wash and replace shower curtain
- Wash all bath and shower towels and mats
- Wipe or mop hard floor or vacuum carpets
- Change beds and wash all bedding
- Flip or rotate the mattress before cleaning
- Polish all surfaces
- Organise wardrobes and clean before putting items back
- Store seasonal clothes ready for next year
- Clean the windows, sills, and surrounds
- Clean mirrors
- Vacuum carpets
Living and dining rooms
- Move furniture and use upholstery attachments to clean sofas and armchairs
- Dust lightbulbs, lampshades, and blinds
- Clean windows and wipe down sills and surrounds
- Dust underneath all electronic devices and spray compressed air into crevices
- Clean remote controls and mobile and landline phones
- Polish all hard surfaces
- Clean out your fireplace if applicable
- Wipe down walls and ceilings and vacuum
See Other Cleaning Tips
It’s important to use the right cleaning solutions and read the manufacturer’s instructions to protect yourself from harm – some chemicals can cause skin and eye irritation if used incorrectly.
You can deodorise your home by minimising unpleasant smells as below:
- Keeping pet beds and litter trays clean
- Emptying the rubbish regularly
- Doing laundry on a regular basis
- Keeping the sink free of food debris
- Opening windows when the weather allows
- Maintaining a clean fridge and washing machine
- Leaving shoes and trainers outside
Find an Alternative
If you don’t have the time for deep cleaning due to work or family commitments why not consider hiring a spring cleaner? Spring cleaning London services offer seasonal cleaning all year round! You’ll get professional cleaners with up-to-date equipment and solutions to sanitise your home safely.
And to finish off your own or specialist clean you could book a steam spring cleaning of your carpets. Get a comprehensive spring clean in London that ensures your home is thoroughly cleaned from top to bottom – whilst you simply sit down and relax.