When you vomit, food and drink come back up from your stomach and out through your mouth. The reasons for being sick can include food poisoning, stress, pain, and infections.
Babies and pets are prone to vomiting – and often use the carpet to catch the mess. See how to get vomit out of carpet here…
Cleaning the vomit from the carpet
Cleaning vomit from carpet can be made easier by:
- Wearing disposable gloves – they’ll protect you from germs and the vomit itself
- Scraping off as much of the vomit as you can using a flat-sided implement and putting into a plastic bag
- Picking up residue vomit with a paper towel and adding it to the waste bag
- Avoiding any rubbing action as this presses the vomit deeper into the carpet fibres
- Drying the surplus damp
Helpful tips for carpet cleaning include:
- Covering the area with baking soda – this dries up excess moisture and will also help remove vomit smell from carpet
- Using a sprinkling of cornstarch – completely cover the area and allow to dry for at least 10 minutes
- Working warm water into the area with a clean white cloth by blotting – press down hard until the cloth becomes saturated – then wring out and repeat
Cleaning dried vomit from a carpet
How to clean dried vomit in carpet requires you to dampen the area – before using a utensil to scrape off the excess. Then you can repeat the above cleaning methods to remove any stains. If you have to leave fresh vomit you can pour baking soda over the affected area, cover with an old towel for at least 15 minutes. And close off the room. When you’re back put the towel with wrapped excess vomit into a waste bag and seal. Then you can brush the dried baking powder clumps into a dustpan and throw them away too. Carry out the natural remedy cleaning methods shown below to finish off.
Removing stains from a carpet with natural remedies
Vinegar is a natural deodoriser and is ideal for neutralising the vomit smell in carpets. It’s advisable to test a patch of hidden carpet with your homemade cleaning solution first.
How to clean vomit from carpet with vinegar can be done by mixing washing up liquid with a tablespoon of white vinegar – and adding two cups of warm water. You’ll need a clean white sponge to apply the solution to the stain. And use a blotting action to remove excess liquid. Finally sponge with clean cold water and blot dry to get rid of all the detergent and vinegar solution.
After you’ve soaked up most of the vinegar you can use a stiff brush to loosen any remaining stain. Then finish by blotting with a dry, clean cloth.
Other stain removal suggestions
- After finishing with the vinegar solution, you can place a damp cloth over the stain – set your iron to steam – and hold it over the area for about 30 seconds. Repeat as necessary. The stain should transfer from the carpet to the cloth.
- Try an ammonia mix of a tablespoon to a cup of water – dab on and blot off – just be careful that pets aren’t attracted to the spot.
- Hydrogen peroxide also makes a successful stain remover – mix one part with water or washing up liquid. Apply to the carpet and let it sit for about 30 minutes before gently lathering. Blot up excess moisture with a dry towel and finish with a clean water rinse to remove all the soap.
- Apply a recommended carpet cleaner to the area following the manufacturer’s instructions. Enzyme-based stain removers are very effective. Dry cleaning solvents can be applied with a clean cloth and blotted onto the stain. The solvent will then absorb the stain.
- Club soda can be applied directly onto the stain or poured into a spray bottle and sprayed on. Complete the process by pressing a clean cloth onto the stain and repeat until the stain has gone.
Finish the cleaning with a fresh smell
Use a neutralising spray to eliminate vomit odours – this will ensure the smell isn’t just masked. The special formulas ensure the bad odours are defused leaving your home smelling fresh and clean once more.
Call in the Professionals
Trained and experienced carpet cleaners will quickly and effectively remove any vomit on carpets – and get rid of resulting stains. Hot water extraction machines are powerful with the steam killing germs, bacteria, and eliminating the resulting unpleasant smells. The techniques are safe for children, pets and the environment.
Using this deep cleaning method that penetrates within the fibres will leave your carpets refreshed and renewed.