Cats have a tendency to mark their territory in hidden corners and around the home. After time these areas give off an ammoniacal odour that resembles stale old urine. Male cat urine has a stronger smell caused by certain steroids – with older cats having the worse smelling urine.
Cat urine also contains uric acid that can last in carpets for years. Don’t despair as there are a number of simple ways to eliminate the odour and make sure it doesn’t return. See how to get rid of cat pee smell from carpet here…
Know Your Products
A spray made with enzymes that target cat urine are ideal for eradicating cat pee smell. Enzymatic cleaners release cultures that leave areas in a sanitary condition and odour-free when dry. Natural enzymes break down the acid in cat urine, helping to get rid of the smell at the same time.
Avoid products that contain ammonia as ammonia is actually a component of cat urine and this can set the stain and attract your cat back to that area.
White vinegar kills bacteria so mixing with warm water can provide a resolution for both old and new stains. It has been found to be a powerful product to remove the smell of cat urine.
Products Needed to Clean Up Cat Urine
To get rid of cat pee smell you’ll need:
- Paper towels or absorbent clean cloth
- Scrubbing brush
- Vinegar and baking soda or an enzyme-based cleaner
- A large plate or dish, or length of aluminium foil for covering
- Vacuum cleaner
Your Step-by-Step Cleaning Guide
- Soak up the urine using the paper towels or cloth by pressing firmly into the stain – this will help to remove the urine stains
- Mix a solution of half and half white vinegar and baking soda solution – making enough to cover all of the stains and deep into the carpet fibres
- Pour the solution carefully onto the stained area – try not to saturate the carpet
- Work into the carpet with the scrubbing brush – allowing the vinegar to neutralise the ammonia in the urine and remove the cat urine smell
- Blot the stain again with a paper towel or a clean cloth – pressing and patting rather than rubbing
- Allow drying thoroughly before sprinkling more baking soda onto the stained area – this will ensure any stain residue is eliminated
- Make a solution of a half cup of hydrogen peroxide with a teaspoon of washing up liquid – apply to the stain and use the scrubbing brush to provide a thorough clean
- Cover the area with a large plate or dish, or aluminium foil – this will stop anyone walking on the area whilst it remains damp
- When the area is completely dry finish by vacuuming
Using Enzyme Cleaner
How to remove urine stains from the carpet and get rid of urine smells if you prefer not to makeup solutions can be easily done as follows:
- Blot the stain with a clean cloth or paper towels to absorb as much urine as possible
- Rinse the area with clean water
- Open the enzyme cleaner spray bottle, remove the sprayer, and liberally apply to the stained area
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes, or even overnight, before blotting with a clean cloth and allowing to completely dry
When you know how to get rid of cat pee smell keeping your carpets smelling fresh will deter your cat from soiling that area again. There are other precautions you can take to prevent any future accidents and these include:
- Retraining your cat to use the litter box, and cleaning the litter box out regularly
- Add extra litter boxes if you have more than one cat in your home
- If the area continues to be marked position disposable absorbent pads to soak up any urine
- Have your cat spayed or neutered
- Take your cat to the vet to check there aren’t any bladder or kidney issues
- If anxiety is the cause then you’ll need to investigate the reasons why and intervene with any behavioural issues
Get Professional Help
How do you get old pet urine stains out of carpet? If you can’t answer this question, simply get in touch with experts who can! Experienced and highly trained carpet cleaners will know exactly how to pre-treat the urine stains, and use the appropriate solutions and cleaning techniques to ensure that stains and smells are eliminated for good.