The symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) include a fever, a new persistent cough, and shortness of breath. These symptoms may appear within 14 days of exposure to the virus, and can lead to severe illness and possibly death.
Coronavirus precautions that must be followed include staying at home – there are limited exceptions which are:
- Shopping for basic necessities
- One form of exercise a day
- A medical need or helping a vulnerable person
- Essential travel to and from work
Even when doing any of these activities you must stay two metres away from other people that are not from your household.
Stopping Infection Spreading
Reducing the risk of getting coronavirus can be helped by:
- Regularly washing your hands with soap and water or hand sanitisers for at least 20 seconds
- Covering your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve when you cough or sneeze
- Putting used tissues in the bin immediately afterwards and washing your hands again
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Sanitising your home
Clean and Disinfect
See how to deep clean your house as a coronavirus prevention here…
Before you start any cleaning put on a pair of disposable gloves and an apron. When you’re working with bleach it may be wise to wear protective goggles. Cleaning germs is essential – to stop the spread of germs you’ll need to focus on areas where they’re most likely to multiply, such as the kitchen and the bathroom.
Cleaning relates to removing contaminants from a surface whilst disinfecting is all about killing pathogens. Cleaning and disinfecting high-touch surfaces just once a day will help with staying safe.
Cleaning hard surfaces is best done using soap and water. Sanitiser cloths can be used on electronic devices that are handled often. As part of an everyday prevention you should focus on high touch surfaces which include:
- Light switches
Disinfect surfaces after the initial wash and rinse with diluted household bleach solutions – bleach is very effective against the coronavirus. Alcohol solutions with at least 70% alcohol are also recommended. Bear in mind that chlorine bleach loses effectiveness approximately 30 days after opening so use an unopened bottle to start with.
Generally, a bleach concentration of one tablespoon of bleach in one gallon of water is effective against viruses, but this should be increased to two thirds of a cup in a gallon of water for coronavirus.
Home cleaning tips include making a plan and being prepared. Make a list of the areas you need to focus on room by room. And set yourself up be getting cleaning solutions, cloths, and tools ready before you begin. A cleaning caddy is ideal for storing and transporting.
Look at an example of a deep cleaning house checklist below…
Items you’ll need:
- Disposable cloths, scrubbing pads, and towels that can be thrown away following the clean
- Two buckets – one of fresh water and one for dirty water after cleaning
- Soap and bleach or alcohol-based solutions
- A spray bottle to decant solutions into
- Scrubbing brush and old toothbrush
Deep Cleaning Your Entire Home
How to deep clean your house fast can be done effectively by simply following a few basic guidelines:
- Dust and vacuum hard-to-reach ledges and windows, and over cabinets
- Wipe down doors and door frames
- Spray window blinds
- Wipe out and sanitise waste bins, recycling bins, and food bins
- Clean all kitchen appliances and surfaces with bleach solutions
- Pay particular attention to the sink area – use bleach or a disinfectant spray
- Wash shower curtains
- Clean and disinfect toilet rim, base, and behind thoroughly
- Deep clean house ends with steam cleaning your carpets and upholstery
Get Expert Help
Steam cleaning carpets can be quickly and effectively done by professional carpet cleaners using state-of-the-art equipment and effective cleaning solutions. Powerful hot water extraction cleaning techniques will be employed – water of an extremely high temperature will be injected deep into the carpet fibres at high pressure, agitating the bacteria, dirt, and debris and bringing it back to the surface alongside 99% of the water.
Steam cleaning has been proven to be effective against germs on carpets and furnishings, curtains, and mattresses. Steam also lifts bacteria from hardwood floors. Anything that can’t be disinfected with cleaning solutions should be steam cleaned for peace of mind.